Lightspeed Restoration of Lorton, Manassas & Fredericksburg
Pipes leak sometimes, and the two most common places we see problems are in bathrooms and kitchens - particularly under a sink. In Lorton we were called in to help a homeowner who found that her sink had been leaking for quite a while, but she hadn't realized it. In the dark, warm and now damp space in the cabinet, mold was thriving.
Most of the time when mold penetrates a porous surface and is truly infested, the only thing to do is remove it. The reason you call a professional mold remediation company instead of your handyman is that we can do the removal in a safe area. Once you disturb mold spores they become airborne, and without a proper containment barrier you risk spreading your problem to the rest of the home.
Lightspeed Restoration remediated the mold by removing the sink and cabinet safely, disposing of the contaminated materials, and then using our process of HEPA vacuuming the surfaces, wiping with our antimicrobial solution, and repeating that several times to be as thorough as possible. We also were able to work with one of our contractors to do the repairs, leaving the kitchen better than it had been!
This Stafford customer rarely visited her unfinished basement, and when she went to pull some luggage out she noticed mold growing. This is not uncommon in unfinished basements since the space is typically unconditioned and in our Northern Virginia humidity, the dark and moist environment is ideal for mold growth.
Fortunately, she called Lightspeed Restoration in for a free mold inspection and we found the mold growth encompassed both the floor joists and sub-floor. We were able to schedule her quickly, protecting the rest of the home from cross contamination by erecting a containment barrier, and ran air scrubbers for a few days to remove any airborne mold spores. When we finished, her basement was clean and her stored items safe again!
Most people tend to avoid going into their crawlspaces, particularly in light of the fact that they are often dark and unpleasant. Unfortunately, not knowing the condition of the crawlspace is an issue when it comes to letting water, mold, and critters and crawlers enter the space and intrude in your living area. This home near the Rappahannock River in Fredericksburg was prone to flooding in the crawlspace, a situation that allowed unchecked mold growth, compromised insulation, and a distinct odor.
Lightspeed Restoration was called in to address the mold remediation and encapsulate the crawl space against further moisture issues. After remediation we installed a vapor barrier to trap the moisture rising from the soil beneath the plastic, sealing it up the walls. Once the barrier was installed we added foam board insulation and a dehumidifier to improve air quality and efficiency of the home from the ground up!
Location: Fredericksburg, VA 22407
Problem: This customer had a small leak under her bathroom sink a couple of years ago. The leak was repaired and she didn't think any more of it until she noticed the floor was a bit spongy in front of the sink and there was some discolored flooring in the hallway. Lightspeed Restoration investigated the situation and found sub-flooring in the crawl space that was contaminated with mold. The mold had degraded the strength of the plywood, causing structural damage.
Solution: Lightspeed Restorations cheduled the work as soon as possible, and once the mold remediation had been safely completed, we were able to bring in a flooring company that we work with frequently to replace the flooring!
Location: Woodbridge, VA 22192
Problem: Vacations should be fun, but they are less fun when you return home to find that a leaky toilet has soaked all the carpeting in the home! It had been sitting for days at least, and ruined the carpet and the padding.
Solution: Lightspeed Restoration came out and removed all the debris (carpet, padding) and cut out the bottom part of the drywall since it also had absorbed water and became a breeding ground for mold. Once removed, we dried the area out and brought in one of our referral partners to replace the drywall.
Having your basement flood can be very frustrating, particularly when the source of water is unknown. Water that repeatedly intrudes can create long term water damage in your home, creating a breeding ground for mold and structural damage. For this Manassas homeowner, the source of the water was a mystery. Fortunately, he called Lightspeed Restoration!
Guided by visual observation and a moisture meter we found the likely area for the source of the moisture coming from the corner of the basement. We opened up the wall, removed the insulation and found a small puddle of water. We dried the puddle, removed some wall studs and base plate and poured water on the foundation from outside. After 20 minutes the puddle formed again only this time we could see where it was coming from. We sealed up the cracks in the foundation and the customer hasn't experienced difficulties again!
Location: Arlington, VA 22201
Problem: A customer in Arlington, VA called in to say he had visible mold growth in his kitchen, dining and living room areas. Concerned about his family's health, he asked us to come out for a free mold inspection and estimate.
Solution: Using a containment system, we sealed off the affected areas so we wouldn't contaminate the rest of the home. We remediated the mold, HEPA vacuumed the surfaces and used an antimicrobial solution to wipe down the walls and floors. When our team was finished, the customer's home was a safer and healthier environment.
Location: Nashville, TN 37215
Problem: A property management company needed a service provider to perform indoor air quality testing in apartment complexes. Tenant air quality complaints become big concerns for property manager. Air testing can either squelch the complaint or validate it, which lets the the property manager know they have remediation or corrective steps to take. Air duct cleaning needed to be performed due to tons of mold and debris stuck in the air duct system.
Solution: Lightspeed Restoration provided next day air testing and offered air duct cleaning at a discount rate. This was apart of a multi-layered apartment partnership plan that included dryer vent and air duct/coil cleaning periodically for all tenants. In picture provided, you can see how much mold was found in the apartment. This location was going through major renovations and the property manager was able to use this information against the contractor because the cleaning and HVAC work wasn't up to par with health standards. Air duct cleaning is a crucial part of healthy indoor air quality. We performed air duct cleaning and mold removal for this local apartment complex and the tenants and property management company was very pleased.
Location: Arlington, VA 22201
Problem: This clinic had a drain pipe rupture from the unit above. Sewage spilled into the clinic by the utility room, laundry room and staff break room. The carpet outside these rooms was contaminated and the walls were wet.
Solution: The customer did not want to remove the carpet so we cleaned it with steam and a professional cleaning solution. We opened up the walls to sanitize them completely and to remove the wet insulation. When we started, there was a distinct odor of urine. Once our mitigation and drying efforts were completed, the odor was gone and the structure was clean and dry.