Here we are, January 2024 and the winter storms have struck again! In these months it isn't unusual for the Alexandria and Fairfax area to experience freezing or below-freezing temperatures. However, when we have persistent weather like this, it brings with it a significant threat of pipes freezing, potentially leading to issues like burst pipes and water damage. A frozen pipe situation can be uncomfortable, and when things thaw, you may suddenly find your home or business is flooding as a result!
If you have a home in Northern Virginia and you're facing emergency water damage from a burst pipe, you'll want the best water removal company nearby. Whether it's in Alexandria, Fairfax County, Arlington or as far south as Fredericksburg, we know it's crucial to act quickly.
Now that you're aware of the potential risks of a several-day freeze, here's our best tips to help you through such storm and water damage leaks disasters:
- Walk around both the inside and outside of the home checking inside cabinets and under the deck or in the crawlspace looking for wet spots or puddles.
- If you have a sump pump, check on it to make sure all parts are functioning properly. In winter, freezes can often be followed by rainstorms so you want to be sure it's working!
- Some burst pipes can be quite explosive and you can easily see the aftermath where the drywall has become saturated and collapsed.
- If you find water coming from a burst pipe, find the water cutoff valve and turn off the flow of water to prevent further water damage.
- If you are a realtor or property manager, be sure to check on any houses or units that are currently unoccupied. Being unaware of a burst pipe allows for water to sit for days or longer. This can cause significant water damage issues.
- In case of water damage, call an IICRC certified water damage restoration company like Lightspeed Restoration of Alexandria & Fairfax ASAP. The quicker our team can begin the water extraction and drying processes after a flood, the more effective we will be to prevent the onset of mold.
- Call your Insurance company!
If your home or business experiences flooding from a burst pipe, call us right away. It is essential to start the water extraction and drying process as soon as possible to prevent the onset of mold. We'll work with your insurance company to provide them all the data they need to process your claim, making the process less stressful for you! This makes for a smooth course of action and that's the best restoration experience our Fairfax and Alexandria, VA home and business owners deserve!